top of page


Deer and elk permit application deadline is April 1

HELENA – The new license year opens March 1, which means that is the day you can buy your 2024 hunting, fishing and conservation licenses and begin applying for permits and special licenses. The deadline to apply for deer and elk permits is April 1.  

Applications for most species – deer, elk, antelope, deer B licenses, elk B licenses, antelope B licenses, moose, sheep, goat, bison, bear, turkey – can be made beginning March 1. 

A new online feature this year is the option for applicants to reapply for the same offerings as last year with just a simple click, eliminating the need to search through previous applications.

Hunters and anglers can buy licenses and apply for permits on the FWP website beginning at 5 a.m. on March 1; click on “Buy and Apply.” Most FWP offices will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.  

Click here to watch a video tutorial for Montana residents on how to buy and apply for licenses and permits online. Click here to watch a video tutorial for nonresidents on how to buy and apply for licenses and permits online.   

The licensing call center will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. from March 1 through April 1; after April 1, the hours will return to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The call center can be reached at 406-444-2950. 

This year FWP produced clearer information for hunters on bonus points and how they are used. Remember: 

  • A bonus point is an extra chance for a hunter to draw a license or permit in a Montana drawing.  

  • Preference points are used only for drawing Nonresident Combination Licenses. Preference points move you ahead in line for the drawing. If you are a Montana resident, preference points don’t apply to you.  

  • For more information on bonus points, preference points and other important licensing topics, go to

Hunters and anglers can also take advantage of the MyFWP mobile app. The app holds and displays licenses, permits and E-Tags, which can be downloaded and used in the field without cell service. To create a My FWP account, visit the MyFWP login page.  


Tips and reminders 

  • Don’t wait until the last day to apply. 

  • If you’re applying for a special license or permit, you will need to have a valid email address.

  • Make sure to doublecheck the regulations before applying. Some permit/licenses have changed. 

  • The Online Licensing System is available from 5 a.m. to 11:45 p.m. 

  • Everyone 12 and older needs a Conservation License to access most state lands, including fishing access sites, wildlife management areas and wildlife habitat protection areas (WHPA). Montana State Parks do not require a Conservation License.  

  • A separate and rotating moose, bighorn sheep or mountain goat SuperTag lottery for resident hunters will be conducted annually. Montana residents will receive one free chance in the lottery for every General Elk or General Deer License purchased. 


Application deadlines  

  • Smith River Super Permit – March 22 

  • Paddlefish (white tag) – March 22  

  • Deer and Elk

  • Special Permits – April 1

  • Special Licenses – June 1  

  • Bighorn Sheep – May 1  

  • Bison – May 1  

  • Moose – May 1  

  • Mountain Goat –May 1  

  • Antelope – June 1  

  • SuperTags

  • Antelope, Bighorn Sheep, Bison, Deer, Elk, Moose, Mountain Goat, and Mountain Lion –July 1  

  • Mountain Lion Special Licenses – July 22  

For more information on Montana hunting licenses and permits, go to

39 views0 comments


bottom of page